DIGITAL GUARDIAN CASE STUDY
Documented Protection for 2 Petabytes of Client Data
About The Customer
Combining creativity and data, this agency that has offices in 60 countries is a global leader in knowledge-based marketing solutions. The agency enables businesses worldwide to derive data-driven insights in order to create highly relevant and productive consumer experiences. Their clients provide them with the sensitive data that drives their business, and demand it is kept safe.
The Business Challenge
The agency’s clients include a number of leading healthcare and insurance companies. As a result, the agency manages more than 2 petabytes worth of sensitive customer information including volumes of PII and PHI. The agency was under pressure from their clients to demonstrate that this regulated data was secure. And since data was the agency’s competitive advantage, the security team had to ensure exiting employees didn’t leave with confidential data. The security team realized they needed a data loss prevention solution, but getting additional IT headcount would be difficult, so the solution had deliver robust protection with low overhead.
Critical Success Factors
- Meet security compliance requirements without adding IT and security overhead
- Provide evidentiary quality information
- Achieve rapid time to value and time to protection
The agency initially engaged Fortra™’s Digital Guardian® for a proof of concept of their data loss prevention as a managed service and was immediately convinced of Digital Guardian’s capabilities, speed of deployment, visibility, and low overhead. According to the agency’s Director of IT Security, “The speed of deployment was shocking. It seemed to take just 30 seconds and the POC was up and running on 200 workstations. We got data visibility the following day.” With that visibility, they were able to make data drive infosec decisions, and track the results.
Based on the successful proof of concept, the Director of IT Security and his team decided to engage Digital Guardian for their data protection needs across the enterprise. Digital Guardian’s Managed Security Program (MSP) team rolled out the solution to more than 700 workstations within the monthly maintenance window and was able to deliver highly effective data protection without being an ongoing drain on the agency’s IT team. What started out as a limited scope, turned into a broader deployment to protect the data that fuels their competitive advantage.
The agency is now fully compliant with its clients’ protection and compliance needs and can be transparent about data handling. Digital Guardian stopped sensitive data from getting out and uncovered employees moving sensitive data onto external drives. Visibility into data movements helped the firm build policies based on how sensitive data is really used. Endpoint visibility unraveled long-standing malware and stopped new outbreaks. The agency’s Director of IT Security says, “DG not only does data loss protection but does a great job of stopping malware.”
"The speed of deployment was shocking. It seemed to take just 30 seconds
and the POC was up and running on 200 workstations. We got data visibility
the following day."
- Director of IT Security
About Digital Guardian
- Over 600 customers from across the globe
- Industries served: Business services, education, energy, financial services, government, healthcare, manufacturing, retail, technology
- Used by 7 of the top 10 patent holders
DISCOVERY AND CLASSIFICATION
- Endpoint, network, cloud and local data storage
- Content, context, and user classification
- Fully automated to fully manual classification
- Over 300 data types, over 90 languages
EDUCATE AND ENFORCE
- Monitor log, prompt, justification request
- Auto-encrypt, quarantine, move, block
- System, user, and data level event visibility
- Analytics that filter out the noise
- Drag and drop incident management
- Right click remediation in real time
OPERATION SYSTEM SUPPORT
- Full visibility, analytics and controls across multiple operating systems
- Managed Security Program