DIGITAL GUARDIAN CASE STUDY
Jabil Gains Business Wide Data Visibility
and IP Protection in less than 120 Days
About The Customer
Jabil, a Fortune 200 company, helps bring electronics products to market faster and more cost-effectively by providing complete product supply-chain management, creating competitive advantage for their customers at every step in the value chain. Jabil is built on a foundation of 180,000 employees across 90 manufacturing plants in 23 countries.
The Business Challenge
When John Graham joined Jabil as CISO in 2013, he discovered that as a result of the company’s rapid growth, Jabil lacked important data protection processes and technology and had no IT standardization. A comprehensive review revealed that Jabil had 52,000 workstations that were secured, but not at the levels the security team thought appropriate given the risks. Should a security breach leak customer intellectual property and violate NDAs, Jabil would risk significant financial penalties. Jabil also had valuable IP of their own, such as pricing deals from their suppliers, that they needed to protect.
Believing that security could be a competitive advantage for Jabil, the company’s infosec team needed a fix, but didn’t have years to devote to the effort. Graham knew he would need outside help.
Critical Success Factors
- Identify and locate critical IP as defined by each business unit and its customers
- Increase visibility on data movement in the context of user, location and application
- Apply new protection controls across autonomous regional operations
- Implement a tiered control set ranging from a baseline security to higher, more restrictive levels
- Rely on security experts to administer data protection, freeing the internal team to focus on data governance
Fortra™’s Digital Guardian® ’s Managed Service Program (MSP) was the clear choice, completing deployment in under three months; no other vendor gave quicker time-to-value. MSP would free Jabil to focus on better data governance while leaving 24/7 global program administration to Digital Guardian.
Jabil had prior success with cloud services and already deployed managed services handling web proxy and single sign-on programs, so there was familiarity with workflows. Jabil understood that its data protection approach should pivot to securing endpoints, not the perimeter. Digital Guardian increases visibility on data movement with deep contextual awareness.
At Jabil, intellectual property is defined as anything that the individual customer wants protected. Each Jabil business unit was given the ability to classify IP by the way they worked with it, where stored, who had access to it, and applications used. A set of tiered controls define a baseline security level that meets corporate policies as well as higher levels for employees dealing with more sensitive data. Log data on violations is collected and filtered on metadata to protect employee privacy.
After a successful test deployment of 3,000 agents, Jabil deployed 49,000 agents worldwide – in less than 90 days from initial engagement with Digital Guardian.
Jabil gained visibility into all data access and usage across 52,000 workstations – immediately identifying data being copied to USB drives more commonly than expected. External storage devices now must be registered and sensitive files are encrypted. More secure workflows were defined that prompted users on risky behaviors. Security became a competitive advantage.
About Digital Guardian
- Over 600 customers from across the globe
- Industries served: Business services, education, energy, financial services, government, healthcare, manufacturing, retail, technology
- Used by 7 of the top 10 patent holders
DISCOVERY AND CLASSIFICATION
- Endpoint, network, cloud and local data storage
- Content, context, and user classification
- Fully automated to fully manual classification
- Over 300 data types, over 90 languages
EDUCATE AND ENFORCE
- Monitor log, prompt, justification request
- Auto-encrypt, quarantine, move, block
- System, user, and data level event visibility
- Analytics that filter out the noise
- Drag and drop incident management
- Right click remediation in real time
OPERATION SYSTEM SUPPORT
- Full visibility, analytics and controls across multiple operating systems
- Managed Security Program