Digital Guardian Podcast Episode 17: Ron Gula on the Evolution of the Security Industry
in the latest episode of the Digital Guardian podcast Ron Gula, President of Gula Tech Adventures, recounts his early days in security—including his time as a penetration tester for the NSA and at Tenable Network Security—and describes how he's seen the industry change over the years.
Welcome to Episode 17 of the Digital Guardian Podcast! Our hosts Will Gragido and Chris Brook chat with Ron Gula, President of Gula Tech Adventures - a cybersecurity investment fund he founded with his wife - about how he got his start in information security, lessons companies can learn from breaches, his tenure at Tenable Network Security, whether or not firms are practicing holistic security, and the concept of "the fail mentality" in the security industry. As always, you can listen and subscribe to our podcast via SoundCloud, iTunes, or Google Play to keep up with new episodes every month.
Highlights from this episode include:
- 3:25 - How Ron got his start in information security
- 10:00 - What led to the creation of Dragon IDS
- 15:15 - Ron's thoughts on the cybersecurity industry today.
- 33:33 - Three things CISOs should do to reduce the attack surface
- 38:50 - Ron's thoughts on "the fail mentality" in security
- 45:25 - Ron's feelings on Spectre and Meltdown
- 50:21 - When it comes to security strategies, where should defenders be doubling down?
Previously on the Digital Guardian Podcast
- Episode 16: End of the Year Extravaganza Gabfest
- Episode 15: Talking Data Breaches and Getting Pwned with Troy Hunt
- Episode 14: The Rise of the Virtual CISO with Andrew Hay
Ron Gula photo via Timothy Schubert's Flickr photostream, Creative Commons