Digital Guardian Podcast Episode 22: Rob DuBois on Thinking Like an Adversary
In the latest episode of the Digital Guardian podcast, Rob DuBois, a former Navy SEAL and red teamer at the Department of Defense, describes how his approach to personal development can help security practitioners defend assets and understand adversaries.
Welcome to Episode 22 of the Digital Guardian Podcast! On this episode our hosts Will Gragido and Chris Brook chat with Rob DuBois, a former Navy SEAL and the Founder and CEO of personal development firm Impact Actual. Rob discusses Impact Actual, how his time in the Navy helped him learn about his adversaries and find balance, and how his discipline can help infosec practitioners defend assets.
Highlights from this episode include:
- 02:20 - Rob on how he got his start in the Navy
- 15:15 - Rob on Impact Actual and how coaching drives his life
- 19:10 - Rob on the most important lessons he learned in the Navy
- 25:15 - Rob on how the virtual and physical world are entangled, how red teaming and attacking the gaps helped inform his ability to mitigate vulnerabilities
- 31:10 - Will recounts some life lessons he learned in the Marines, the importance of leadership
- 38:50 - Five takeaways from Rob's experience that can help security practitioners mitigate stress and understand adversaries
- 45:30 - Chris asks Rob about how his experience on Mygrations, a National Geographic series, helped him blaze a new path in life